Saturday, August 1, 2015

Reddit

A couple weeks back I got a Reddit account and I was hesitant to get an account because it has an initially confusing user interface. It takes a minute, but it's not too bad once you get used to it.
The home page has information about what posts are hot at the moment. The other tabs consist of newer posts, what's controversial, the top posts, and so forth.
On Reddit, users have two options: Post a text or post a link.

From there Reddit readers can comment and up/down vote. In addition, users can search and subscribe to subreddits (think hashtag, but exclusively for Reddit)

Does anyone regularly use Reddit? Tell me about your experience and what other benefits that being on Reddit has!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Deviyani! I heard that Reddit is the biggest and most popular online social forum. I don't have a Reddit account yet. But having browsing the forums recently, I found it is a huge online community which does attracts lots of readers and active participants. The topics on Reddit are very diverse and interesting. Hopefully I will find more time to explore it later :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I observed a community of grad students in Reddit for this class and loved it! There was a very deep connection between some individuals, almost a support group feel. I'm sure all subreddits are different. What I like the most was the community and Reddit as a whole have shared values and expectations of behavior when using the site. The subreddit I watched was definitely self-monitoring. It was really interesting to see in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used Reddit, but my brother is a frequent user. He can spend hours on it. I tried to use it once but gave up immediately because I found the interface to be jumbled and confusing. Perhaps I should give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to lurk on Reddit- I didn't even have a username. I would just do a Google search and read the communities. I made an account for the communities project, and I agree that Reddit is a huge community that's hard to navigate at first. I found by narrowing in on a smaller sub-reddit (I did instructional design for my project), it was much easier to try out different things. I don't have a complete grasp of Reddit because there is a lot to it. However, I think focusing on some small sub-reddits that interest you will help. Once you start contributing useful content, other users will reply and enjoy your input. This can encourage you to keep going. - Devin B.

    ReplyDelete