Thursday, August 6, 2015

Facebook in Educational Settings

In keeping up with my theme for the week with my posts relating to Facebook, I read the in class article entitled "Friending and footprints: Privacy and ethical issues of facebook use in higher education" 

The article talks about multiple different subjects such as, privacy, ethics, sending a friend requests to students/instructors. 

Thinking about this I remember in two occurrences where I was invited into a class-related Facebook groups. One was instructor-made and the other was created by a student. 
Both were inherently helpful because it allowed us to be in a social setting without feeling the pressure of adding the professor or my classmates. 
However I noticed the different in attitude between the groups. The instructor-made was a little more formal with a hint of casual communication. The other one was much more casual, with students allowing to express their frustration or thoughts about the course without any real repercussions (as far as I know) from the professors. Sharing this kind of bond allowed for students to be closer with one another, such as study groups were frequent occurrences.

However, I wouldn't have wanted to used my Facebook for a more formal instructional component. Using it in a more informal way, such as creating a group where we can ask questions more easily and such, is much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment